Sunday, June 07, 2009

No easy answers

Still making the issue clear here in Bolivia. But it's tough.

Last night I spent some time talking with Juan Gabriel, a 21 year old university student. We were talking about the amazing love and grace of God. I shared with him that we need to understand that we are sinners to be able to appreciate and benefit from God's grace. I asked him if he believed he was a sinner - as I believe I am. He said yes, but then said, "My worst sin is my anger at God. It is a sin to be angry with God, isn't it?"

Juan Gabriel went on to share about his struggle with epilepsy, only partially controlled by medication. Two weeks ago he had a convulsion in class. Painful, embarrassing, disruptive, humiliating. I can only guess at his pain. He is angry that he should have to deal with this in his life. But he didn't question that God loved him, only that he felt bad about his anger.

David was angry (OK, frustrated?) with God in the Psalms 22: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer”

But he goes on to proclaim God’s dominion in the same Psalm:
“All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the LORD and he rules over the nations.”

Pray for Juan Gabriel as he struggles with knowing God in His Goodness.

No comments: